Perfectly spiced lentil patties that are baked instead of deep-fried! This healthy, vegan alternative to traditional falafel is full of plant-based protein and FLAVOR. A traditional middle-eastern favorite with a delicious modern twist!
If you follow me on Instagram, you know I’ve been ALL about the savory foods lately. Sure, I still eat mostly sweet stuff for breakfast and snacks throughout the day…but for some reason, when it comes to snacks and meals, all I’ve wanted is food that’s savory, salty, and full of spices!
That’s made for some interesting food combinations (hello toast with jam AND hummus…trust me, it’s delicious!) and a huge desire to share a bunch of savory things with you all as well! I guess I am trying to get everyone on the savory food bandwagon. ?
Today we’re taking a tastebud trip to the Middle East to chow down on my Vegan Lentil Falafel!
Usually falafel is made from ground chickpeas and deep-fried, but my version is lighter and healthier! Instead of dousing them in oil that’s not made for high heat cooking, I baked my patties, flavored them with tons of spices from Middle Eastern cuisine, and made them completely OIL-FREE.
To good to be true? See for yourself!
Oil-Free Vegan Lentil Falafel
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 8 patties 1x
- Category: Main Meals
- 1 cup dry split red lentils
- 2 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- ½ sweet white onion, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons oat flour
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350. Bring water to a boil in pot. Add lentils and simmer until they are cooked through and water is absorbed. Drain lentils and squeeze out any excess water that they may be holding. (very important step!)
- In a food processor, blend lentils, carrot, onion, garlic, parsley, and lemon juice.
- In a large bowl, combine lentil mixture with flour, flax, and spices. Stir until well combined.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet. Divide lentil mixture into 8 even sized patties.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, flip patties, and continue baking for 10 more minutes.
Keywords: vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, main dish, dinner, lunch, lentils, falafel
These soft, flavorful patties are gluten-free, full of plant-based protein, and super easy to make. All you need is a blender or food processor and they come together in minutes. A great weeknight meal and perfect for topping with homemade tzatziki sauce.
I am hesitant to pick a favorite cuisine (mostly because of my love of sushi!), but Middle Eastern food ranks near the top of my list. I just love all the spices and herbs. So many unique flavors and tastes in every dish! It’s so fun to cook with staples like olives, mint, parsley, dates, and chickpeas. And let’s not get started on my obsession with hummus, pitas, pistachios, and flatbreads!
What’s your favorite savory food?
Do you think you’d be able to choose a favorite cuisine?
Are you a falafel fan?Stay connected:Subscribe to Healthy HelperInstagram: HealthyHelperFacebook: Healthy HelperTwitter: @Healthy_HelperPinterest: Healthy_HelperBloglovin’: Healthy HelperTumblr: Healthy Helper BlogSnapchat: KailaProulxBuy my BUDGET TRAVEL EBook!Shop with me on Amazon. Favorite products, fun finds, and more! Want to get FREE products for review and make money as a blogger? Check out Linqia!Vacation budget a little tight? Get a discount on your AirBnB booking!