Fresh honey combines with nutty pecans and the crunchy cereal to create the ultimate coating for your favorite proteins! This Honey Pecan Crusted Chicken will be your new favorite way to prepare chicken breast. Sweet, savory, and totally delicious!
Food bloggers, do you ever hit a recipe that you just CANNOT WAIT to share? Hopefully some of you can relate, cause that’s exactly how I feel about this one. I teased it earlier this month and now I finally have time to share it with you.
Recently, I’ve gotten really into using honey. I’ve always been a honey fan and we had it around a lot growing up since that’s what my mom uses in her coffee every morning (coconut milk, honey, and cinnamon…in case you were wondering!). But I had never but I had gotten away from using it when I started using sweeteners like stevia, monkfruit, and erythritol. I’ve been trying to get away from using zero calorie sweeteners however, and get back to using the REAL stuff. Honey has a TON of nutritional benefits, so including it in moderation in your diet is 100% okay.
I always try to buy honey that is 100% raw and made locally. Naturally, honey is gluten-free, GMO-free, and anti-bacterial. It’s one of the healthiest sweeteners you can use because it is minimally processed, comes from nature, and has only 1 ingredient…HONEY. I love it for stirring into tea, for drizzling on warm oatmeal, for baking, and even adding a touch of sweetness to savory recipes like the one I am sharing today.
Now that the Farmer’s Market near me has started up again, I got my hands on come local raw honey from my favorite vendor. I was immediately inspired to hit the kitchen! But I didn’t want to go the traditional route of a baked good or sweet recipe. No…I had other plans in mind.
I decided the honey would be perfect for including in a dry coating for chicken (or another protein of choice). Combining the honey with dry ingredient saved me a lot of mess and sticky fingers.
This recipe is a simple combination of nuts, gluten-free cereal, spices, and a little bit of honey that come together to take baked chicken (or whatever protein you’d like!) to the next level.
Honey Pecan Crusted Chicken
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Main Meals
- Preheat the oven to 450.
- Place the pecans a food processor and pulse until finely chopped (go easy — you don’t want a paste). Add the cereal, spices, and honey and pulse a few more times to combine.
- Set up two large shallow dishes in an assembly line. Beat the egg in the first dish and place the pecan/cereal mixture in the second dish. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper to hold the breaded fillets, and place at the end of the assembly line.
- Season the chicken pieces with a little salt and pepper. Working with one piece at a time: dip in the egg to coat evenly; and then dredge in the pecan/cereal mixture, pressing down to make the coating adhere. Try to use one hand for the dry breading and one hand for the wet– otherwise, your hands will end up a mess. Place the breaded chicken on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining pieces.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake chicken for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve with honey mustard for dipping!
Crispy, crunchy outer coating with a juicy, delicious piece of chicken underneath. Perfection!
This is easily made vegetarian or VEGAN, by using pressed tofu steaks (which I tried and loved!) and a different liquid sweetener like agave or maple syrup!
I also wanted to share great dipping sauce I made to go with this dish. Combine 2 tbsp Veganaise (or mayo), 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, and 1 tbsp liquid honey. A little honey-mustard sauce that compliments the sweet and savory taste of the chicken.
This combined with my Smoky Bean Puree made for a hearty and TASTY meal. My taste buds were literally overwhelmed with all the fun tastes and textures. My kind of meal!
What’s your favorite use for honey?
How do you jazz up baked chicken?
What’s your favorite home-cooked main dish?Stay connected:Subscribe to Healthy HelperInstagram: HealthyHelperFacebook: Healthy HelperTwitter: @Healthy_HelperPinterest: Healthy_HelperTikTok: KailaProulxBloglovin’: Healthy HelperBuy my BUDGET TRAVEL EBook!Shop with me on Amazon. Favorite products, fun finds, and more!