Full of fresh seasonal fruit and caramelized sweet potatoes, this hash is the perfect healthy summer side dish! Dressed in a slightly spicy peanut sauce, its sweet n’ salty flavor can’t be beat. Paleo, vegan, and gluten-free, too!
Overbuying sweet potatoes. We literally had 10 sitting in our potato basket this time last week. Luckily, just like last time, I was ready to ‘fix’ the sweet potato overload problem with a new recipe I had up my sleeve. In fact, it actually helped me use up quite a bit of produce that was on its last legs. Gotta love ‘use up the fridge’ recipes!
Today’s recipe is all about sweet potatoes and it makes for a perfect Cinco de Mayo side dish.
Now I know what you’re thinking: Cinco de Mayo is all about avocado, tortilla chips, margaritas, burritos, and salsa….where the heck do sweet potatoes come in?! Well, believe it or not, sweet potatoes are actually a staple food in Latin America and have been since ancient times (we’re talking the Mayans!).
So actually this is a pretty spot-on recipe for the holiday! Especially since it combines sweet potatoes with fresh seasonal fruits.
I call it Fresh n’ Fruity Sweet Potato Hash. Sweet from the sweet potatoes themselves of course, but even more so from the tropical mango chunks and peach slices!
The sweet is balanced out with a creamy, slightly spicy peanut sauce that creates that perfect balance of sweet and salty flavor.
A perfect healthy starch-based side to add to your Cinco de Mayo menu of next summer meal outside!
Fresh n’ Fruity Sweet Potato Hash
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Sides
- 2.5 cups diced, peeled sweet potato (small cubes)
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen mango, cut into small chunks
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peach slices, diced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- ½ of a sweet white onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp sesame oil (can use 2–3 tbsp of vegetable broth for an oil-free option)
- 2 tbsp peanut flour
- 2–3 tbsp coconut milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp braggs liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 tsp red chili paste
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp dried basil
- Microwave diced sweet potato for about 2 minutes to soften it slightly. In a frying pan, heat oil (or vegetable broth) on medium heat. Add carrots, onion, garlic, and spices. Sauté together until mostly cooked through. Meanwhile, stir together peanut flour, coconut milk, liquid aminos, chili paste, and chili paste. Reduce the heat to low and stir in fruit. Once evenly mixed in, pour sauce over the entire mixture. Stir to evenly coat all ingredients. Keep pan on stove until everything is heated through. Serve hot or store in the refrigerator and serve chilled at a later time.
Naturally gluten-free, paleo, and vegan, this flavorful hash will be loved by all! There’s even an oil-free option if you’re a high-carb, low-fat vegan.
I loved this so much! The sauce is just so good. I think I could that all its own. 😉 It’s taken to the next level though when mixed on top of all the other ingredients.
I like to think this hash is anytime type of dish. Pair it with a runny poached egg for a healthy breakfast, top a salad with it at lunch, or put it along side your favorite grilled protein at dinner! The possibilities are endless.
Overall, an amazing fusion of latin american and Thai flavors! Hey, did I just create a new cuisine?! 😉
What foods do you think of when you think of Cinco de Mayo?
Do you overbuy any certain foods at the grocery store? Always happens with potatoes at our house!
Have you ever had sweet potato hash?Stay connected:Subscribe to Healthy HelperInstagram: HealthyHelperFacebook: Healthy HelperTwitter: @Healthy_HelperPinterest: Healthy_HelperTikTok: KailaProulxBloglovin’: Healthy HelperBuy my BUDGET TRAVEL EBook!Shop with me on Amazon. Favorite products, fun finds, and more!
Linking up with: Allergy Free Wednesdays, #RecipeOfTheWeek,#StrangeButGood,Real Food Friday, Gluten-Free Fridays,Tasty Tuesdays,Savoring Saturdays, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Tasty Tuesdays, Meatless Mondays,Full Plate Thursday, JillConyers,Meatless Mondays!