Fruity, sweet, and chockfull of nuts! This Beets & Berries Oatmeal Skillet Cookie is a healthy spin on a classic oatmeal raisin cookie jazzed up with superfoods. Vegan, gluten-free, and fruit-sweetened, this delicious, wholesome dessert is perfect for pairing with your favorite ice cream!
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.
Do you know the reference? Well you better! 😉
If you know me, you know that The Office is one of my favorite shows of ALL TIME. Seriously. That show got me through some ROUGH times and brought me so much over the 9 seasons it was on.
Even though I’ve seen every episode several times, I recently decided to rewatch the entire series from the beginning. So far, I am loving it!! Sure I remember some of the jokes and storylines, but I am discovering new things about each episode that I may have missed or overlooked in the first go around.
One of my favorite episode will always be Season 3 Episode 2 in which this exchange takes place…
Obviously after watching (and laughing my ass off!) I had beets on the brain. I also happened to have some leftover beet powder on hand, from when I made my Red Velvet Truffles, so a new creation in the kitchen just HAD to happen.
With a little inspiration from my last skillet cookie, I decided to go for a more fruity version for the spring season ahead of us. This time of year I begin to crave all things fruit…especially berries! So a fruit and nut combo for this sweet treat seemed just right.
Beets & Berries Oatmeal Skillet Cookie
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Sweet Snacks
- ¼ cup neutral oil
- ½ cup almond or mixed nut butter
- ⅔ cup Bob’s Red Mill date sugar
- 2 chia eggs, 2 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill chia seeds + 6 tablespoons water – whisk them together and let sit for 5 minutes to thicken
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp beet powder
- 1 teaspoon Bob’s Red Mill baking soda
- ½ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- ¼ cup Bob’s Red Mill coconut flour
- ½ cup Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free quick oats
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- heaping ½ cup dried blueberries or cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and lightly grease a 6-inch oven-proof skillet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the oil, nut butter, and date sugar until smooth. Add the chia eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the baking soda, salt, cinnamon, beet powder, coconut flour, and quick oats to the wet ingredients. Mix until well incorporated. Fold in the walnuts and dried fruit.
- Press the dough into the pan evenly. Bake for 20 minutes or golden brown around the edges.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, and serve warm. Enjoy!
Just like my last skillet cookie, this one is vegan, gluten-free, and naturally sweetened with dates! It’s studded with cranberries and blueberries, has a nice crunch from chopped walnuts, and is perfectly soft and crumbly when served warm straight out of the oven! So perfect.
You can TOTALLY get away with eating this for breakfast. 😉 I mean heck, it’s got oats, fruit, nuts…it’s practically a bowl of oatmeal! In cookie form of course.
So next time you’re craving something sweet, delicious, AND healthy…bake up this skillet cookie and settle in for an Office marathon!
Have you ever made a skillet cookie before?
Do you prefer for fruity desserts or chocolatey desserts?
What kind of ice cream would you eat with this skillet cookie?Stay connected:Subscribe to Healthy HelperInstagram: HealthyHelperFacebook: Healthy HelperTwitter: @Healthy_HelperPinterest: Healthy_HelperBloglovin’: Healthy HelperTumblr: Healthy Helper BlogSnapchat: KailaProulxBuy my BUDGET TRAVEL EBook!Shop with me on Amazon. Favorite products, fun finds, and more! Want to get FREE products for review and make money as a blogger? Check out Linqia!Vacation budget a little tight? Get a discount on your AirBnB booking!