A decadently dense, sweet cake made with the prettiest purple potatoes! Vegan, gluten-free, and completely Medjool date-sweetened. Have your cake and eat it too!
With purple sweet potato season winding down, I thought it was the perfect time to share one last PURPLE recipe before you can no longer find the pretty spuds until later this year.
My love for purple sweet potatoes is no secret, but I usually stick to eating them on their own….either in fry form or just roasted whole. I usually pair them with ketchup/mustard, nut butter, or Laughing Cow Cheese. They go so well with so many different flavors, sweet AND savory. I baked with them once in the past (a biscuit recipe that I am saving for National Biscuit Day…yes that’s a thing! 😉 ), but I had never attempted to go FULLY sweet with them. Crazy right?! I mean, sweet is in their name! Of course they’d lend themselves to making a great sweet recipe.
Specifically, cake. Dense, delicious FUDGE cake.
If you’re not aware, purple sweet potatoes are SUPER starchy. So on their own they have an amazing consistency. But when you combine them with bananas like I did in this recipe, you get a texture that is very fudge-like. Oh and I did I mention this entire recipe is fruit-sweetened?
From the cake itself to the caramel-y frosting! All fruit, all delicious. This is a HCLF vegan’s dream dessert in my opinion! Or really, ANYONE’s dream dessert if you like yummy treats.
Vegan Purple Sweet Potato Fudge Cake with Caramel Date Frosting
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 1 cake 1x
- Category: Dessert
- For cake:
- 12 oz purple sweet potato, peeled, cubed, and steamed
- 2 large ripe bananas, (about 285 grams)
- ½ cup non-dairy milk (I used vanilla almond milk)
- ½ tsp vanilla bean powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup gluten-free oat flour (about 75 grams)
- 15 grams coconut flour
- For frosting: (250 grams total)
- 1 ripe banana, mashed (about 115 grams)
- ½ cup Medjool dates (about 85 grams)
- ½ tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 2–3 tbsp water
- 4 tbsp oat flour
- For cake:
- Preheat oven to 350. In food processor, combine bananas, steamed potatoes, milk, and vanilla bean powder. Process until smooth. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together oat flour, cinnamon, and coconut flour. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir to combine (do not over mix). Pour cake mixture in to a parchment paper lined (or well greased) 8 inch cake pan. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a knife come out cleanly from the center of the cake.
- For frosting:
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients. Puree until smooth.
- Let cake cool before frosting and slicing.
Gluten-free, oil-free, vegan, and so decadently delicious! This is the perfect cake to serve for Mother’s Day. Plus the color is just so pretty, am I right?
This cake didn’t last long in my house and I am convinced that if you make it too it won’t last until the end of your Mother’s Day Brunch. It’s amazing what baking with fruits can result in. No need for added sugar or artificial sweeteners whatsoever! Bananas and Medjool dates for the win.
Have you ever had a purple sweet potato or fudge cake before?
What’s your favorite thing to make with sweet potatoes?
What desserts are you making for Mother’s Day?Stay connected:Subscribe to Healthy HelperInstagram: HealthyHelperFacebook: Healthy HelperTwitter: @Healthy_HelperPinterest: Healthy_HelperBloglovin’: Healthy HelperTumblr: Healthy Helper BlogSnapchat: KailaProulxBuy my BUDGET TRAVEL EBook!Shop with me on Amazon. Favorite products, fun finds, and more! Want to get FREE products for review and make money as a blogger? Check out Linqia!Vacation budget a little tight? Get a discount on your AirBnB booking!
Linking up with: Allergy Free Wednesdays, #RecipeOfTheWeek,#StrangeButGood,Real Food Friday, Gluten-Free Fridays,Tasty Tuesdays,Savoring Saturdays, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Tasty Tuesdays, Meatless Mondays,Full Plate Thursday, JillConyers,Meatless Mondays!