Luscious lemon donuts that are deliciously sweet and ever so subtly tart! Fresh, fruity, and full of protein, these easy to make, gluten-free donuts make the perfect summer snack.
People, do you know what Friday is?
Yes, it’s the first Friday in June. Yes, it’s National Chocolate Macaroon Day and National Egg Day. Side note: could they have picked more opposite foods to share the same food holiday?! Yes, it marks exactly two weeks until I leave for my big Europe trip.
But aside from all of this it’s something much more important…something much more DELICIOUS. It’s National Donut Day!
Perhaps the food holiday I’ve gotten most excited about this whole year. You know that ever since I got my donut pan last Christmas, I’ve been obsessed. In fact, there are now 3 donut recipes on the blog…
Carrot Cake Donuts (so popular!)
Strawberry Shortcake Donuts (your favorite summer dessert in donut form!)
Pear Ginger Donuts (my first VEGAN donut recipe!)
And now I have another for you today to celebrate the fresh, fruity flavors of summer and the upcoming national holiday of course. 😉
Who’s a fan of lemon desserts?
*raises hand* Me me me! I certainly am. There’s just something so light and sweet about a really well made lemon treat. The contrast of sweet and tart, the vibrant color, the zesty aftertaste. Ahhh I love it all.
If I had to choose a favorite it would be my mom’s Lemon Meringue Pie. Creamy lemon custard, airy, whipped meringue, all set in a buttery, rich shortcake crust. Pure lemon heaven.
Just like her Strawberry Shortcake, this dessert does not come around too often. But when it does, everyone gobbles it right up! No lemony leftovers in sight.
Well for me, that simply won’t do.
So the other day when I found myself craving a some lemon delight, I thought it would be a great idea to make my own version….but in my favorite snack form of course! DONUTS.
And with that, my Lemon Meringue Donuts came to be!
Lemon Meringue Donuts [gluten-free + high protein]
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 6 donuts 1x
- Category: Breakfast Foods
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats, ground into flour
- 15 grams vanilla whey protein (about 1/2 scoop)
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Wet ingredients:
- 2 tbsp of plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp liquid egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 small Meyer lemon, pureed (approx. 70 grams)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a small cup, combine you almond milk and vinegar and set aside. In a food processor, grind oats into flour. Mix with the rest of your dry ingredients.
- In your smaller bowl combine all of the wet, including the almond milk mixture and pureed lemon until there are no clumps. Fold your wet into your dry and stir but do not over-mix. It should be thick but not overly so. Portion out your batter into 6 well-sprayed doughnut wells and place into the oven. Bake for 15 minutes or until tops are lightly golden brown.
Gluten-free, high protein, whole grain, and bursting with lemony goodness. These donuts make for a great snack or light dessert and they taste AMAZING with a bit of whipped cream cheese spread on top. Take my word for it.
I seriously considered making a meringue topping to go on top of each one, but impatient me couldn’t wait to dive into the donut-y goodness.
Now you’re all set to celebrate National Donut Day this coming Friday! Happy as always to help you prepare for these important days. 😉
Were you aware of National Donut Day?
Are you a fan of lemon desserts?
What’s your DREAM donut flavor?Stay connected:Subscribe to Healthy HelperInstagram: HealthyHelperFacebook: Healthy HelperTwitter: @Healthy_HelperPinterest: Healthy_HelperBloglovin’: Healthy HelperTumblr: Healthy Helper BlogSnapchat: KailaProulxBuy my BUDGET TRAVEL EBook!Shop with me on Amazon. Favorite products, fun finds, and more! Want to get FREE products for review and make money as a blogger? Check out Linqia!Vacation budget a little tight? Get a discount on your AirBnB booking!